S’mores with Homemade Marshmallows
Yield: About 2 dozen
For Graham Crackers:
1 ½ cups (335 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (140 g) packed brown sugar
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons (42 g) honey
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) vanilla extract
2 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (335 g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
1 cup (140 g) Cup4Cup Wholesome Flour
½ teaspoon (2 g) kosher salt
1 teaspoon (4 g) baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons (3 g) ground cinnamon
1 ¾ cup (350) g granulated sugar
1 /2 cup (164 g) glucose or light corn syrup
¼ teaspoon (1 g) salt
1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract
1 ½ packets (10 grams) powdered gelatin
½ cup cold water
1 large egg white
Powdered sugar, as needed
Chocolate bars such as K+M Dark Milk Nicaragua
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Cream together the butter, both sugars, honey and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream until homogenous, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low until just combined.
- Roll the dough out in between sheets of parchment paper to about 1/8th inch thick. Refrigerate sheets for about 1 hour and until firm. Cut out shapes of desired size and shape. Place onto parchment lined sheet trays with 1 inch of space in between.
- Refrigerate sheets for 10 minutes. Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for about 11-15 minutes, rotating pans half way through baking. Cool cookies to room temperature.
- For the marshmallows, bloom the gelatin powder in the cold water for 10 minutes in a small, non-metallic bowl.
- Place the gelatin in the microwave and heat 30 seconds at a time until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg white until stiff.
- In a small pot, bring the sugar and glucose to a boil until the temperature reaches 240°F. Remove from the heat. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the mixer. Add the dissolved gelatin, vanilla extract and salt to the mixer. Whip on medium speed until the bowl is cool and the mixture is thick.
- Spray a 9” x 13” pan with pan spray and dust generously with powdered sugar. Spread the marshmallow mixture into the pan, spreading it evenly into the corners and smoothing the top. Sprinkle a heavy layer of powdered sugar over the top and let is sit uncovered in the refrigerator until it is set. Once set, cut into desired shapes.
- To assemble s’mores, roast marshmallows. Sandwich roasted marshmallow and chocolate in between 2 graham crackers and serve.