Chicken Pot Pie
Pot Pie Filling:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup Cup4Cup Multipurpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup whole milk
2 ounces cream cheese
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 1/2 cups roasted & chopped chicken meat
1 tablespoon chopped parsley and thyme
2 small potatoes, medium dice, cooked
3/4 cup carrots, medium dice
1/2 small onion, medium dice
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup fresh peas, blanched
See recipe for Grandma’s Pie Crust
For the Filling:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in Cup4Cup flour to create a roux.
2. Pour the chicken stock in slowly, whisking constantly until it is fully incorporated. Whisk in milk and cream cheese. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
3. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, plus a dash of nutmeg. Fold in shredded chicken meat and herbs; set aside.
4. Turn on broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
5. Place all vegetables except the peas in a large bowl. Add garlic and oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and toss until all vegetables are well coated.
6. Place prepared vegetables under the broiler and roast until they start to brown, check oven often, do not overcook.
7. Toss together broiled vegetables, peas and chicken roux mixture in a large bowl; set aside to cool completely.
1. Lightly flour the surface of your work space with Cup4Cup flour and roll out the dough to fit your pie pan of choice.
2. Place bottom pie crust dough in the pie dish and pour in chicken mixture.
3. Roll out the other half of the dough, place on top of the pie, pinching the seams.
4. Cut a hole in the top of the pie using a small knife to allow steam to escape during baking. Also, you may whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water to form an egg wash. Brush egg wash over the pie evenly to help browning.
5. Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.