Sweet Potato Pie
Yield: One 9-inch pie (9” x 1 ½”)
For Pie Crust:
2 cups (280g) Cup4Cup Multipurpose Flour
1 tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar
½ teaspoon (2g) kosher salt
10 tablespoons (140g) butter, cold
1/3 cup (80g) buttermilk
1 large egg yolk
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 ½ cups)
½ cup (112g) sugar
1/3 cup (72g) butter
2 large eggs
¾ cup (170g) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon (3g) vanilla extract
½ teaspoon (1g) ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon (1g) ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon (1g) salt
1 large egg for egg wash
1 tablespoon water for egg wash
For the Pie Crust:
- Place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to evenly distribute. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture, pulsing until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. To make by hand, cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork.
- Transfer mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the egg yolk and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
- Create a well in the flour mixture, gradually whisk in the egg mixture with a fork until the dough comes together to form a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out the crust, on a well-floured work surface, to about an 11-inch circle. Press together any spots that might tear.
- Lift the crust carefully and place into a 9-inch pie plate. Use a small knife to trim the edges of pie dough, leave about ½ inch of extra dough overhanging.
- Fold the excess dough under and crimp with fingers.
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cook in water until tender.
- Puree sweet potatoes until smooth and cooled to room temperature.
- In a stand mixer cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time
- Add evaporated milk, 2 cups of sweet potato puree (462g), vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix until fully incorporated on medium speed.
- Pour mixture into pie crust
- Beat together remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of water to make egg wash.
- Brush onto the pie crust edge.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Crust should be golden brown.
- Cool for 2 hours or refrigerate before serving.