Yield: 12 large biscuits
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
4 cups (560 g) Ancient Grains flour
1 tablespoon (10 g) kosher salt
1 tablespoon (10 g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (4 g) baking soda
2 sticks (225 g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 ½ cups (360 g) buttermilk + 1 to 2 tablespoons for brushing
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a whisk or food processor, combine all dry ingredients together and mix until well blended.
- Be sure butter is very cold. Using a food processor, add in the cold butter and pulse until it is incorporated into the dough and it resembles pea-sized shapes. If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the butter.
- Place this mixture into a bowl. Using a fork slowly mix in the buttermilk until the dough forms a ball. The dough will be loose. Do not over mix.
- Take the loose dough and wrap it in clear plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Adding additional flour as needed, roll or pat out the dough to 1 inch thick.
- Use a round cutter to cut biscuits from the dough. Place cut shapes onto parchment lined baking sheets. Brush buttermilk onto the tops of the biscuits to ensure a golden brown top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush hot biscuits with melted butter and serve warm.
Add in 3/4 cup cooked diced bacon, 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese, and 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives after step 3. (Be sure to add these ingredients prior to adding the buttermilk.)